NOTES ON "THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST"
[By James Knox]
Send to me, Andy Neckar, by a subscriber.
Malachi 2:7 For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
Ezek 44:23-24 And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean. And in controversy they shall stand in judgment; and they shall judge it according to my judgments:
Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
I feel some sense of duty in responding to the multitude of questions I have received and that you will receive about the movie, The Passion of The Christ. I am writing this without seeing the film or talking to anyone who has seen it. I do not need either influence to take a Biblical stand.
First, I am going to list the positives that may result from this film
- The hubbub and discussion surrounding the film provide opportunities to witness for Jesus.
- We live among a generation that knows next to nothing about the Lord and what He did. This may provide some foundation upon which to witness later.
- Christians and professing Christians who do not read the Bible and attend churches where the Bible is not taught may be stirred to search the scriptures after seeing this film.
- It is a positive look at Jesus. This is a nice change of pace. There has been no positive depiction of the Lord in theatres in close to 50 years.
Second, I am going to list the negatives that will result from this film.
- Those few preachers and Christians who still cry out against the vile movie theatre will now enter one to see an R-rated film.
- This movie will NOT be true to the word of God. If there is nothing in this film that is added to the scriptures I will eat a volleyball; without salt.
- Those few preachers and Christians who have told the truth about the satanic Roman Catholic Church will
a) support it by paying money to see this movie
b) support it by endorsing this film
c) be less inclined to view it as anti-Christian because one of its loyal sons produced a movie about Jesus.
- Multitudes will see this movie, have an emotional experience, and think themselves "believers" or "Christianized" or "better" for having watched it. I have read a dozen reviews from unbelievers who were "moved" by the film. Not one of them said they had been saved, born again or trusted the Lord. IF born again people will come behind this movie and witness to people who have seen it, and explain to them the way of salvation, then many may be saved - not through the movie but through the means God ordained: witnessing and preaching the gospel. Without that follow-up witness men and women will be stirred for a while but not converted.
This man is an unsaved Roman Catholic who belongs to a strict sect or Romanists who reject Vatican II. He believes that Jesus is the Savior but that one can only receive Jesus by eating him in the R.C. mass. He believes there is no salvation apart from the R.C. sacraments. Consider the news media take on this thing. Gibson has been consistently referred to as a "devout Christian." Jerry Falwell and Franklin Graham are called "fundamentalists", never devout Christians. Doesn't that tell you something??? Gibson's movies are all filled with profanity, nudity and blasphemy, yet he calls himself, and the world calls him a devout Christian. How can anyone who believes the word of God trust this man to give them a true presentation of the HOLY Lord Jesus Christ.
I heard a ten minute radio interview with the man who portrays Jesus in this movie. He said he was a Catholic and that Gibson had the cast take the R.C. mass every morning. The actor said, "This was absolutely necessary. I could not have done this without having Christ in me. I had to receive Him every morning or I never could have made this film." What utter pagan nonsense.
I was presented with a five minute promotional blurb. The big preachers get a screening. Those of us who believe the book get an email. In this clip Gibson says, "All I did was take the four gospels and put them on film. There is nothing here but what is in the scripture." The clip that follows shows Jesus debating with a female in Gethsemane. She is supposed to be Satan. The conversation depicted is found in no gospel on the face of the earth.
The Mormons distribute a movie about Jesus. I do not recommend it. Now a blasphemous papist has made a movie about Jesus. I do not recommend it.
Forty years ago Hal Lindsey wrote a book called "The Late Great Planet Earth." Millions read that book. Though it was far from factual, it caused many to become concerned about their soul. Christians witnessed to a lot of these people and they were born again. The book got them curious. The witness brought them to Jesus. I hope and pray that in the same way this movie will provide a way to witness to many and win precious souls to Jesus Christ.
My prediction: The moral and spiritual climate of every town and city in America where this movie is shown will remain unchanged. The moral and spiritual climate of the individuals who see this movie will be unchanged within six months after viewing the film. Only the new birth will change a lost man and only the word of God will change the conduct of a saved man. A movie cannot accomplish these things.
Thank you and good night.
Bro. James Knox